An inspirational founder
In 1948 a dedicated and inspirational teacher, Miss Irene Cooper, opened a school with eleven pupils in Windlesham Gardens in Brighton.
With the strong support of parents and friends – and a sympathetic bank manager – the school went from strength to strength, quickly outgrowing its original premises and moving to 190 Dyke Road in 1952. Three years later, 180 Dyke Road was also purchased. Its large grounds adjoined 190’s and by simply removing the fences the current school site was created.
Over the years pupil numbers grew and facilities such as a gym, swimming pool and specialist classrooms were added. Miss Cooper died in 2002, but her vision of providing a high quality, affordable private education in a respectful, kind and nurturing setting still pervades the school. Today Windlesham School continues to thrive. Its deceptively large site, tucked away behind residential houses opposite Dyke Road Park, always surprises visitors.